Thread: Timespace era
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2022, 05:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I really have a hard time believing that Stevie made up the story about Silver Springs as an excuse to leave FM. She could have said she was mad at Mick because of his book, or that she was focused on her solo career, or tired of doing both. Now, maybe she assumed Mick could have convinced the record label to let her put the song on her CD, and he didn’t even try, that sounds feasible. But no, I don’t think she concocted the story to save face about why she left FM. If anything, that reason makes her look a little petty. Plus, it is totally believable (to me, anyway) that Stevie would get mad over something like that.

The story of Mick not letting Stevie put Silver Springs on her album has always confused me, because it didn’t really make sense how Mick could have been the one who kept her from using if. But so has the story about why Buckingham Nicks has never been rereleased. At various times, Lindsey supposedly refused, then other times Stevie supposedly refused. Who knows the real reasons for both?
Who knows. But IMHO clearly Mick had the power to release the song to her. There is another Timespace interview that alleges he was avoiding her and had to call Dennis to get him to call her back. When she asked him for the song, he said no.
None of us are aware of the intricate details of such a move. However Stevie was a veteran rock star at that time and knew how the system worked and what she needed to do to accomplish her task. I do think she could have recorded the song her way just like she did with Crystal in 1998. But I think she knew she could never duplicate that magic and wanted the original.
Each band is different the way rights are owned, etc. Unless you were part of Fleetwood Mac, I don't think anyone knows exactly.