View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
There is no excuse for the band’s behavior during her speech. Zero. If they didn’t like it, they could have told her later. Getting an audience to laugh at someone who is speaking is disgraceful.

I’m also tired of the blanket statements made about those of us who call out the other band members’ poor behavior. I agree with many statements about how Stevie has changed over the years. But I also see the situation as not black/white, I think there is more to the story that we may never know, and I think sexism plays a part. If that were a man making a rambling self-indulgent speech, I guarantee you the band wouldn’t have openly mocked him. It’s far easier to mock a woman and hold to certain expectations than a man.
Quote:
In this case, I said sexism, not misogyny. Double standards, things people do to women that they wouldn’t do to men. Women are guilty of this also. If they all think Stevie’s an idiot, they should tell her to her face instead of what they did. They are the ones who acted like high school fools. In front of Bill Clinton. Bunch of children.
Quote:
No I don’t think they would have done the same thing to him behind his back in front of an audience. Obviously I could be wrong but I feel pretty strongly about this.
Quote:
When men give long speeches talking about themselves, they are considered to be confident and strong. A woman talking for a long time (not that 5 minutes is a long time) about herself is a self-indulgent bitch. BTW, I’m a man in case it’s not clear. If I can see this dynamic, then others should also or at least think about how sexism plays at least a small role in this whole mess.

Oh come on Buster. Please lighten up a bit. They weren't having fun because she's a woman. They were having fun because she was rambling and boring and and self-centred and bonkers. Indeed, I don't think they really realised they were being in any way disrespectful. I think they were just having fun in the spirit of a fun event/evening. Please don't spin this out as being sexist. If anything its bonkersist.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood