Thread: Silver Springs
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Effects of Songs on People

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I'm sorry if something like this has been posted several times before but this just came up on shuffle and I really started thinking about how amazing this song is. I think, objectively, this is probably Stevie's greatest creation. Because not only is it an incredible song, it's an EFFECTIVE song. In my opinion, this song, especially the end of it, accomplishes the same type of "thing" that Eric Clapton accomplished with Layla. It's hard to put it into words, but it just has this power and quality to it that doesn't happen too often.

And I know people mostly talk about the version from the Dance which is epic, no doubt about it. But I don't think anything compares to the original vocal. The little growl in her voice when she goes "from the SOUND" at the end.
I find it interesting how music affects people - for me it is usually live versions of songs that I get that sense of power or emotion. On the Wembley (1980) live version of The Chain, the raw energy, passion and emotion that Lindsey and Stevie poured into that song really comes through the speakers (seems too "rehearsed" on recent tours). And I am amazed at the number of people that comment how Lindsey's Out of the Cradle helped them through difficult times. While it seemed to be cathartic for Lindsey and many others, his relationship with Richard Dashut ended at that time (perhaps during the two to three year production). Richard seemed to break down when he acknowledged listening to it during his blog. Music can be a powerful instrument, both positively and negatively.