View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the info from the Brunning book!
If I understand correctly, Brunning implies that his three released tracks were recorded at these clandestine "late night sessions" -
The booklet (which I wouldn't swear by) has Brunning's tracks all being recorded at the CBS studio on New Bond Street - no date is given for "Long Grey Mare" but the two tracks on the single are dated as "September 9th 1967"
In fact, all of the tracks that have a specific date are said to have been recorded at the CBS studios -
the tracks I posted as the possible demo show Vernon hedging his bets by saying it could have been one or the other -
I think the studio is significant because it would indicate that the deal had been made with CBS (unless Vernon had already been asked to leave Decca and was using the facilities to getout of paying for studio time)

I think you are right that Jeremy was in the band when the demo was recorded and to me, that makes it even more interesting if he wasn't on any of the tracks.
Was that "his choice", as they were all Green songs and he didn't want to play on them?
A demo with only Green's songs is very far from representative of the band! I find that very strange...

I doubt we'll ever get a definitive answer, but as Vernon had access to the original tape reels, and possibly any remaining paperwork that came with them, I would lean towards his dates more than Brunning's (again, being fully aware that I have do way to verify anyone's recollections of events almost forty years old!)

The sources I've found, all indicate that the two numbers in question were recorded after Mick Fleetwood sole Bluesbreaker session in the studio. The one that produced "Double Trouble" & "It Hurts Me Too"

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder