View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
There's an interview where Peter states that the legendary Texan guitarist Johnny Winter recorded guitar parts for "Green Manalishi", but they weren't used. This was probably in the states, as they completed the song there? I find this interesting.
Never heard of the Winter connection before ~ interesting is right. I'm not sure Manalishi was recorded anywhere but at De Lane Lea Studios, unless this came in the form of mixing and overdubs later on (after perhaps being shuttled off via express courier). Johnny Winter may have also found his way into the Kingsway, London studio during one of his concert tours of England. I know there exists a 1970 recording of him and his band performing from the Royal Albert Hall, which came out a few years ago as part of a Sony reissue package, so who knows.

Also per the sharkman and his ace Hjort bible:

14-20 April / 28-30 April 1970: Snoot, you're correct about "The Green Manalishi" being recording at this time. Hjort writes that it was recorded on the 14th (28 takes!). "World In Harmony" was recorded on the 16th-17th (a take from the 16th was used for the master), and on the 17th Kirwan also recorded two new instrumentals. More work was done on these two instrumental tracks on the 20th - one of these was later released on The Vaudeville Years as "Farewell" (the predecessor to "Earl Grey" from Kiln House), while it seems the second one has never been released. Hjort does not mention any De Lane Lea recordings later in April.

Now if you were to look at various tour schedules for 1970, including Dinky's, none seem to reference Green or Mac as being anywhere near the states in April 1970. The song had already charted by June in the UK, which doesn't allow for much doodling around, so all this makes me wonder. But I will say, I HAVE seen references to The Green Manalishi being recorded in LA before too, like at Planetoftheamps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
My memory was that Jeremy Spencer saying that Peter was howling the recorded ending in a parking garage in Los Angeles i think.
Well I've seen it stated that to attain the massive wall of sound they were looking for, cabs were place in the underground car park beneath the studio at De Lane Lea. Close and distant miking was used on the speakers to get that very original guitar sound. So why does the ghost of LA keep arising?

I once tried to put together a green Manalishi album. very tedious in the end

Please tell us more ! The devil will be in the details I'm sure.

an aside:
Snoot: did you e mail oe speak to Dinky Dawson?

E mail. Dinky rests his hat in Boston these days, having long ago deserted the smog of LA. He's not all that far from you now V. If you need to get ahold of him, PM me - or drop me a line @ my addy.