View Single Post
Old 02-24-2022, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It's confirmation that it sounds dated. But recognition of a lovely song. There are countless dated easy-listening songs from that era I still love.

Unlike those songs, most of FM's Rumours-era catalogue transcends its time. WW doesn't. At the time, it was pushed as the first single, which tells me the band were trying to get on the radio following the trends of the time. They did this with the HAHTF single, too, where it was engineered to appeal--and failed. All those stock-in-trade devices that both of these songs resort to leave these otherwise lovely tunes in the museum of lost songs.

Conversely, Over My Head was the last track completed for the record. Christine has said repeatedly that they didn't know how to present it so they decided on less-is-more. The song may have been retooled as a single for FM radio, but its the album version that sticks.
Thats interesting. I did not know OMH was the last song added to the album. I like the album version but all the singles from the White Album that got tweaked for single release, OMH is my favorite. I love Lindsey's plucking his guitar that adds this melody that keeps the song churning just like the organ. IMHO the single versions of all the singles of the White album are superior to the album version. Reason: Lindsey. All those added guitar parts really make the songs come alive.