View Single Post
Old 02-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello again from Italy.

Here I am about the vexed question of "San Bernardino".

Firstly, sorry for the big mistake I did last time I posted...of course it was a FIVE piece line-up, but Iwas in hurry and this didn't help.

So, I've looked in the various book, Celmin's, Bob Brunning's,Mick Fleetwood's, also Pete Frame's Rock Family Trees, to try and check dates. Most state a date of mid February for Jeremy leaving the band. Allowing for the few days spent trying to get Jeremy back, plus 2/3/4 days for Peter to fly out, this would mean a first gig date of around say 21-25 February (not 24 March), Brunning's book state that the first gig Peter did was San Bernardino.

Again both Pete Frame and Bob Brunning state that Bob Welsh joined the band in April 1971, after the tour was over, so 24/3/71 date would appear to be late in the Green tour of six weeks. Welsh is certainly playing with the band by June 1971 as that is the start of the recording sessions for "Future Game".

Green stated he would only play if they did the sit list his way "Black Magic Woman" plus 3/4 jam session numbers.

Listening to the tape I have the following observations:

1- Most of the numbers are fairly short and structured (this goes against the Green jam session statement)

2- I'm sure I can detect a second guitar on some of the numbers, (which goes against the teory that Peter was off stage for this segment of the set)

3- Christine seems to do most of the talking/announcing and does mention both Danny and Mick, but not Jeremy.

4- "Get Like You Used To Be" and "I'd Rather Go Blind" come from Christine's Vhickenshack days.

5- My friend R.Jim Greaves saw the band in October/November 1970 (Christine was already playing with them) and at that time Jeremy stayed on stage for the whole set - unlike the Peter Green days.

6- Also at that time they played at least one long jam style number, often it was "Hi Ho Silver", from "Kiln House"

7- Just because there are no Jeremy Spencer songs on the tape does not mean he wasn't there. Most of his material was still Elmore and Elvis style, so They may not have recorded or edited out.

8- I know thre's is a fair amount of wah.wah guitar,but that sounds to be all in Danny's more "jagged" oe "choppy" style, not fluid enough for Peter.

On balance I don't believe this is what it claims to be. I don't think Peter is on the tape, although I find it very difficult to pick out Peter's playing on Grateful Dead, Clapton jams, ecc...

I suspect this is an earlier gig, before Jeremy left, passed off as one of the "Greeny gigs"

My only doubt is about some guitar playing on "Dragonfly" and I love so much Peter's Legacy that I'm more than happy for someone to prove me wrong, but until then I'll stick with Peter not playing.

Stay always Green....

Mario.