View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker View Post
Communicating effectively and being able to make a persuasive argument (in my opinion) really are important for success - regardless of what jobs or careers one ends up having over the course of a long life. Granted that can be learned in places other than college - but it really is true (i.m.o.) that the students learn just as much - or more - from each other than from classes.
It really is a "learning environment" - even if a somewhat LOUD one! lol!
Just some ideas.
I agree that students learn more from each other than they do in class, but I've actually found that I've learned much more about how to communicate in the business world from internships than from anything else. I spent the last summer interning full time at a law firm, and I fill my time at school working as the head coach for an SAT tutoring program for low income students. The mix between working one on one with professionals and instructing a classroom full of unprivileged students taught me nuances of communication that the classroom, or the student body of my college of pretentious elites, never could have.

I think your comment on the use of college vocabulary is interesting, but here we part ways. I've found the most effective communication is clear and concise, and it rarely, if ever, requires a lexicon above that of a moderately gifted high school sophomore.

Oh, and I'm dying for Luke to jump in, one, because I'd like to flatter myself and believe that I've finally said something he'd find interesting, and two because I believe he left college early after he had found a better way to meet his goals.
You're so like me