View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Midge Ure - a bit of a surprise, but I saw a TV prog where he was talking about his career and he mentioned how Peter greatly influenced him and explaining about Peter’s songs -Man of the World was one ,and playing bits of them to make his point !
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Speaking of Midge Ure, I had (sometime ago, need to look for it again) a copy of Ultravox doing "Man Of The World" live in concert. Really great version, too.

The Moody Blues' Justin Hayward also seems to be a "Peter Green" disciple (. . .) and he also has recorded a cover of "Man Of The World")
midge ure's affection for peter and the mac really came as a surprise to me, and i just checked out 2 live versions on youtube - a li'l bit clumsy on the guitar, but really nice. interesting that during the solo he combined notes of the 2 simultaneous lead guitars of the original.

but justin hayward? well . . . , i listened to his orchestral version with mike batt (i don't know if he ever did another one) and for my taste this is waaaay too much on the sugary side. the orchestral solo part sounds like right out of one of those 60's winnetou movies with pierre brice and lex barker. i could virtually see peter green on horseback, riding into the setting sun - brrrrr!

but, hey, we're already on the verge of drifting out of the thread!

thanks for contributing anyway!