View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
I'm not sure I can recommend anyone who sounds like Peter, but I remember reading that Ted Turner, one of the guitarist in Wishbone Ash ,saying he saw Peter playing live with Fleetwood Mac, and knowing that he (Ted )wanted to move people the way Peter did (I had a similar experience )
Wishbone Ash were a great Band with twin lead guitarists ,both fine bluesy--ish players (the other being Andy Powell )and were worthy successors of the twin lead guitar format taking it to where Peter and Danny may have gone with it I recommend their first two albums Wishbone Ash and Argus (particularly good drum sound) (I’m doing this from memory incidentally !)Isaw them at a later stage and they were deafiningly loud and had gone a bit glam rock !

b)People who admire Peter :

(1)Dave Gilmour ,who has done versions of Albatross . Though I liked them I was not a huge Pink Floyd fan post Syd Barrat . Funnily enough though , I do think ,at his most expressive Gilmore can match Peter's soulful playing! (I did think Dark side of the Moon was a great record and I warm to them now)

(2)Midge Ure - a bit of a surprise, but I saw a TV prog where he was talking about his career and he mentioned how Peter greatly influenced him and explaining about Peter’s songs -Man of the World was one ,and playing bits of them to make his point !
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
yes, thd, the early ash were (and still are) one of the most innovative and extremely melodic guitar bands of the time, and the comparison with the green/kirwan pairing is pretty apt. i always preferred ted turner (a fine lap-steel player to boot) to andy powell, so i think quite remarkable what he said about peter. and for me personally the band lost most of it's magic when turner left the band. they never were the same with laurie wisefield, or ever after (despite the later reunion of the original line-up).
thanks for pointing out.
Love Wishbone Ash. The twin guitars DO sound like early FMac. What also is interesting about them is that bassist Martin Turner's voice is VERY similar sounding to Danny Kirwan's. Some of those early (first 4 albums) songs sound like they could've fit on Then Play On or Kiln House.

Speaking of Midge Ure, I had (sometime ago, need to look for it again) a copy of Ultravox doing "Man Of The World" live in concert. Really great version, too.

The Moody Blues' Justin Hayward also seems to be a "Peter Green" disciple, but more in a subtler way & not so obvious. The sparseness & economical style of playing harks back to Peter Green. Also, the expressiveness of his playing, too. (that and he also has recorded a cover of "Man Of The World")