View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze View Post
I do remember when Reagan was elected lots of middle-aged women said they voted for him because he was cute. I was only 10 and I thought that was absurd!
This reminds me of my ex's Mother. She was a card carrying Democrat who used to hold campaign fundraisers at her house, etc. Yet she votes for Charlotte's psychotic Republican Congresswoman Sue Myrick because "Sue had cancer and she's a woman." WTF does that have to do with her policies and ability to govern?! People are so dumb that it just baffles me... totally baffles me.

If you're going to vote for someone who doesn't uphold your ideals and beliefs that's fine... just have solid reasoning for it. I actually voted for a Republican (Pat McCrory) for NC Governor a few years back. I did so because his Democratic rival, Bev Perdue, had no platform of her own, and solely slung mud on McCrory. I could not vote for her because she never once said what she would do if elected. All she did was run attack ads, never once laying out her own agenda. McCrory was Mayor of Charlotte, NC for 14 years (the city I lived in for a decade)... and was actually a damned good mayor & was socially progressive. So for the first time in my life, I voted Republican. But when people vote for a candidate because of their looks, or the fact they were a movie star, or a pro wrestler, it just makes me bang my head against concrete.