View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoetinmyhear View Post
This show was really interesting. First and foremost there were multiple guests but the only fleetwood mac related guest was Mike Campbell on two songs and tellingly they did a version of "Man of the World" that was incredible.

Some observations: Neil is really really fun. At this concert, which was a smaller venue, he was fairly low key and not afraid to fiddle around or make a mistake. He was engaging and funny and while he wasn't shy speaking at the mike he didn't let it overwhelm the show either. I actually think his energy will be an awesome fit and will be interesting to see how it changes up the band (if it does). He was clearly more of a go with the flow kind of guy and based on the printed set list it looks like he even made some on the fly changes.

He is an excellent singer both on his own stuff and on the material he didn't write (In addition to Man of the World, Mike and Neil did a Bowie cover that was also amazing). Now I will say I didn't get a sense of him as some sort of virtuoso guitar player but he is an incredible multiple instrumentalist who shifted multiple times during the night between guitars, pianos, etc. As for virtuoso guitarist skills - when Mike took the stage it seemed he very much outclassed everyone else on that stage in this area (not too surprising as I don't think Neil bills himself that way). Mike was insanely good and his solo-ing during Man of the World and Moonage Daydream were awesome.

Both guys tended to be a bit more into the idea of "Jam sessions" onstage than any of the current Mac (other than maybe Mick). I know Lindsey pretty much kept the surprise soloing down - we knew we'd have one during So Afraid and Go Your Own Way and Come when it was in the setlist but these guys like to really jam on the songs (based on the limited showing on display) and again it will be interesting to see how that might change up the band and the setlist.

I've rambled here but overall they both were excellent and seemed excited to be playing together. There was a funny moment early on in the show when someone yelled out "Go Your Own Way" and Neil joked he should know it by now but he didn't and "just you wait."

While I am bummed about Lindsey not being in the band and however it went down everyone should be ashamed it got to that place but I am very excited for the new possibilities there may be rather than the one or two songs we haven't heard and all the others being done in the exact same arrangements they've always been. Hopefully this tour is something genuinely new and the energy of these two guys and their respective skills were electric onstage.
Ty, that sounds promising and very like Neil. Bowie was evidently an early inspiration for him, and I saw on youtube a version he did of 'Space Oddity' (which was awesome until the second singer came in who wasn't so good). He genuinely seems to enjoy working with others and trying new things - sometimes completely on the fly. He has a dry sense of humour which is common in our part of the world - and can sometimes end up being taken seriously by those not so familiar. I'm wishing him the best.

(Tried seeing if there's some of it on youtube but so far I think it's just scam clips that want you to go to another link for a supposed 'live stream', no way I'd risk it.)

Last edited by Missy; 05-04-2018 at 12:27 PM..