View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I don't even need reassurance, but I'm just so pissed off, that I need to rant.

So I live in a reasonably small college town(80K, including 40K students). I'm a fairly well known person(and I only mean in my own miniscule fishbowl), and have a lot of acquaintances(some I consider friends, in varying degrees). Well, I throw quite a few summer parties....so if I know 300 people, I obviously can't invite 300 people to my house(I usually try to keep the limit to 30-35, which is more than I even enjoy - 15 or so is enjoyable). But my pool parties have sort of taken on a certain level of notoriety(not really my doing, just the fact that it's sort of "the hot summer night spot to be" - ie, more to do with the guests, than me!).
And I had a party this weekend, and I can't believe the nerve that some people have...I went out tonight, and was "shamed" three times, because "I wasn't invited....I can't believe you didn't invite me!". My bartender "friend" ~flipped me off~, then lightly smacked me on the face, then made me(intentionally) wait about 15 minutes for a drink. When I was ready for another, he said, "it's last call"(2 hours early). I said, "are you serious?". He said, "it is for you, since you didn't invite me to your party this weekend". Even though he was somewhat kidding, I'd had enough "shaming", and being ignored by a server. I can't host 300 f*cking people, and even if I list an event on FB as BYOB, only about 25% DO BYOB! So I calmly told my friends that I was leaving, and they wanted to know why, I just said that I was tired.

Pardon my rant. It was pretty much for my own venting. Life is so funny. You work hard, and finally succeed, and yet it's never quite the golden life that you worked SO HARD to attain. I try to be the absolute best person that I can, and yet, it's never enough, for everyone. You can't please everyone.

SO I CAME HOME, AND AM DRINKING A GLASS OF WINE, BY MYSELF, BECAUSE IT FELT LIKE A BETTER OPTION, THAN DEALING WITH "ACQUAINTANCES" WHO EXPECT ME TO ENTERTAIN THE ENTIRE TOWN....

Thanks for listening, and yes, I know that I'm very lucky to have what I do. I'm thankful for that(and I'm NOT rich, for the record, only comfortable). But I remember being uber poor, and being much happier...because people didn't have...unusual expectations....
I hear ya.

I don't really even have parties anymore because of this kind of crap. When I invite people over I make sure I don't even call it a party. I ask them to come over for "drinks" and to "hang out". Truth be told, I have a lot more fun with a group of 7-10 friends that I do with 35-60 "friends" who are only there to drink and eat for free.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case