View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Lindsey's lyrics do not linger over the listener the same way, the softness of his voice, the elongated phrasing.
Yeah, I really hate that and it can seem phony to me. Having him and Stevie onstage appearing sincere is about the only thing that can salvage that kind of delivery for me. That's what I think he is trying to do with NGBA and it drives me batty.

I appreciate a lingering, nuanced delivery, but I need it in a song that has melody. I mean, I think of Christine's Calumney and it's out of this world. Her voice is like an old oak tree whose branches creek a little when they bend. She's going "torn the petals drop" and I feel, sense the resistance when you pluck something blooming from a living thing. Rip away a leaf from a vibrant stem that it doesn't want to leave, when you hurt it, just to make a point -- to prove that their love is gone.

I think she ought to win an Oscar for that delivery, really and Say Goodbye doesn't make me experience anything like that, especially not if the live version had been on the record. On the record, the fact that it's faster is an aid for me. Also, the fact that it is followed by Goodbye Baby. That sets a tone that I appreciate more than if the song had stood alone.

Michele