View Single Post
Old 12-10-2002, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The main issue I have with Sir Paul, apart from the ego thing, is his live voice rather than his work on the albums.

The only live thing I have heard lately that I thought he sung well was Blackbird at the Queen's jubillee concert. I thought his singing on Freedom live was truly awful. I have to say that his piano, guitar and bass work are still at a high level. It's just his voice. The concert for NYC made me cringe with embarassment as did Roger Daltrey's performance (don't get me started there).

I do agree with Cristian's "if you don't like it don't buy it" approach totally, I'm just giving my feelings on the way I feel about McCartney.

I'm not having a go at his writing or musical abilities which are without question, it's just his ego problems and that live voice.

On the positive side I did mention to ChiliD many months ago that McCartney's songs will stand the test of time far longer than Lennon's. John Lennon was a musical genius but McCartney's songs are more "mainstream" if you like, they certainly get more airtime on UK radio. John's work pushed the boundaries more than Paul's I feel, who had a more balanced approach to his writing.