View Single Post
Old 12-09-2002, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Paul McCartney should have retired gracefully years ago. The man hasn't created an interesting piece of music since perhaps a couple of tunes on Tug of War.
Carne, I must disagree with you on this one. Using the very same philosophy that you always use in other discussion topics in this very same Forum, it's really simple: "if you don't like it, then don't buy it". But that must not necesarlly mean that sir Paul should retire now. There are thousands of people who don't believe so, and his last tour through the USA, Mexico and Japan has proven that he can still play good music, and sound great. And it still makes people happy. My girlfriend (a huge Paul fan herself) always tells me that there is no problem, since Paul is happy doing his music (we can always discuss if his music is what it used to be anymore, or he's sticking to his old classics because of the lack of material he has around later) and fans are happy, since those concerts were a class act and deserved at least some attention. So to many people is a very meaningful thing that Paul is still around. If it doesn't mean anything to you parcticularly, you can always choose not to buy the current album or if he appears in the radio, you can always change the station.

As for the second part of the quote, I strongly disagree. Sure, Driving Rain was overall mediocred, but he's written enough enjoyable tunes after Tug Of War to complete a full "Greatest Hits" album. Indisputable well crafted pop tunes like:

Through Our Love (Pipes Of Peace)
No More Lonely Nights (Give My Regards To Broad Street)
No Values (Give My Regards To Broad Street)
Not Such A Bad Boy (Give My Regards To Broad Street)
Only Love Remains (Press To Play)
Press (Press To Play)
Tough On A Tightrope (Press To Play CD)
Once Upon A Long Ago (Single)
Back On My Feet (w/ Elvis Costello, B-side of Once Upon)
My Brave Face (Flowers In The Dirt)
Put It There (Flowers In The Dirt)
This One (Flowers In The Dirt)
Hope Of Deliverance (Off The Ground)
Off The Ground (Off The Ground)
Golden Earth Girl (Off The Ground)
C'Mon People (Off The Ground)
The Song We Were Singing (Flaming Pie)
Somedays (Flaming Pie)
Calico Skies (Flaming Pie)
Little Willow (Flaming Pie)
Beautiful Night (Flaming Pie)