View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That would have been daring, but he was never offered the gig without Stevie and his instinct was to turn down the offer. It was Stevie who had to push him into joining the band, just like it was Stevie who pushed for them to move to Los Angeles. Without Stevie, he would have blown the deal.

ETA: More from the Keith Olsen interview about NYE 1974:

“So I drop what I was going to do on that New Year’s Eve, take my date, and we drive over to Stevie and Lindsey’s house. I said, “Hey, Happy New Year” and all of this—I brought over the obligatory bottle of bad champagne—and I said, “Can we talk? Mick Fleetwood would like you to join Fleetwood Mac.” Immediately, Lindsey said, “Oh, no, no—I couldn’t possibly play anything as good as Peter Green did. How am I supposed to get up there and play ‘The Green Manalishi’?” Finally I get them, by the end of the night, to try it on a trial basis for eight weeks.”
Man you love to dissect things a million ways.
Bottom line, they needed a guitarist. They wanted Lindsey. They had no idea about Stevie until Mick was told about her. He could have jumped without Stevie but he didn't.
Its that simple. End of story. Its what Mick and Stevie has said for over 40 years.