View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Why surprised? Mick said so since 1990 or so I read:
I told him I wanted Lindsey Buckingham to be the new guitarist in Fleetwood Mac, and what did he think? Olsen replied that Lindsey was part of a team, the other half of which was his girlfriend, Stevie Nicks. They had a band called Buckingham Nicks and were very much a pair. Keith said he didn't think Lindsey would be interested in joining Fleetwood Mac without Stevie. Without hesitating, I told him that I wanted them both. Then I called Mickey Shapiro and said, "I met these guys and am asking them to be in the band."
Which essentially the same thing Keith Olsen said.

“Then I got a call on New Year’s Eve, and Mick says, “I’ve had some bad news. Bob Welch just decided to leave the band. So, that fellow in that band you played me—would you see if that guy would like to join my band?” And I said, “Well, they’re going to come as a set. Because they’re very much into their own thing, and the only chance of getting them to drop that would be to bring them both on.” And he says, “Well, maybe that will work. Can you see if you can convince them to join my band?”

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...ds_Keith_Olsen

Quote:
Now if he changed the story in 2018 or any other moment, just to please Stevie, or for any other reason, it was too late, cause he already wrote he wanted Lindsey. And in the Rumours Classic albums video (1997), Lindsey said he answered he and Stevie were a "package deal", too.
Yeah, he went into the call wanting the guitarist he’d heard playing the solo that reminded him of Danny Kirwan. He wasn’t aware that it was a package situation. Once he was, he wanted them both. Not only did Fleetwood Mac need a guitarist, but they needed to fill up 2/3 of an album, since Bob had been the band’s main songwriter.

Lindsey may be the one who’s embellished the story a bit. Because according to Mick’s 1990 account and Keith Olsen’s, I don’t see where Lindsey was ever offered the gig without Stevie.

THE Stephen Hopkins