View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I’m a fan of Alan Brown’s Private Romeo (2011). The cast of stage-trained young actors does superb work—they carry the narrative burden, the poetry burden, and the emotional burden like old pros. The result isn’t stuffy or amateurish or in any way miscalculated; it’s euphoric. Despite its being set in a military academy during the “Don’t ask, don’t tell” era, politics is blessedly kept to a minimum in favor of accessible and ultimately memorable storytelling. I highly, highly recommend.
The language and enthusiasm is, indeed, euphoric. The filmmaking, less so. Still, the staging is often inspired. The Prince breaking the CD is an example. Also, there is needed wish-fulfillment, not just in the happy ending, but the reconciliation of Mercutio and Tybalt is a dream of masculine sensitivity come true centuries in the hoping.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.