View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Also worth mentioning that Gold Dust Woman's apperance in the 87-88 setlist was the first time the Mac had performed it in a decade. They did it on the Rumours tour but not at all on the Tusk or Mirage tours.
Yes, it was great hearing it again in the Fleetwood Mac set for us old-timers. And it was well done in those months—with Mick Fleetwood back on the kick drum and cowbell pattern (missing conspicuously from Stevie's solo performances) and Rick Vito adding weird and eerie guitar gunfire during the outro. I think by 1990, it was already starting to get stale in the Mac set, although the different solo bands from 1998 on still gave it energy.

To appeal to me, the song has to go through a slow burn and reach its crescendo, almost like climbing an elaborate staircase. That's my problem with the 1994 performance by her band—the way they played it, it's no more powerful at the end than at the beginning.

My favorite is still the album track. It's amazing, a great work of pop art and a mirror of the soul of Fleetwood Mac, part Appalachian mountain music and part psychedelic folk. It's one of the best album enders of all time. It leaves listeners feeling as if they just heard an album that's even more amazing and uncanny than it is, taken piece by piece, and I think it's one of the unsung reasons why Rumours sold so many gazillions.

moviekinks.blogspot.com