View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 02:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
I agree with you, dansven. "Testosterone-playing" is boring in the long run, and especially in old veterans. The thing is I never considered Peters playing testorone-driven, not even when he was 20. There was something else at stake for him, than for many other players of his generation. By incident I came across Alvin Lee's obituary in MOJO (May, 2013) the other day. In it Alvin Lee is quoted: "Asked once about his rivals in the big league of flash guitarists, Alvin Lee - nicknamed Captain Speedfingers - shunned comparisons with John McLaughlin, Johnny Winter and beyond, and said he much preferred the subtle style of Peter Green. The errant Fleetwood Mac man was, Lee said, the only player he'd seen who turned his volume down during a solo."

Of course musicians develop and mature with age, so Peters style of playing is different now. His ideas are often intricate and beautiful, but what I am talking about is his "strike" (I think this is the word classical pianists use to discribe each individual pianists way of approaching or "attacking" the keys. This is not meant in the aggressive sence of the word). This has to do with the musicians need to communicate whats going on inside him. When Peter plays now, it's like he is "talking to himself". That's ok. Sometimes it would be nice to have some better recording of these "monologues", though

Ms Moose
Ms Moose, I really enjoyed reading your post above!
You're absolutely right about Peter not being very "testosterone-driven" (my oh my, what a word!!) And yes, there was something else, something deeper and perhaps spiritual with his playing.

I understand what you're saying about attack, and I agree with you. Playing like he's "talking to himself" is a brilliant description. Again, it's really hard to talk about music. Some high-quality reordings by Peter Green and Friends would be great. He didn't have to tour if he didn't feel like. They could just release some good rehearsals. It's easy nowadays, and sound quality is good. But Peter would have to want it himself...

That Alvin Lee quote was unknown to me, and it really made my day! Thanks!!