View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 11:31 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Attributing primary blame to Christine makes no sense whatsoever. Granted, her “radio silence” to Buckingham is beyond disappointing, but she neither has the leverage or the motive to lead the charge for his being fired. This was totally a Stevie-Mick thing. We all know this.

But I’m right there with you on the 2020 Mac reunion. They’ll want to capitalize on the reunion of the Rumours lineup again...
——Especially in light of the lawsuit, yes, pointing fingers to Christine McVie might seem unreasonable, and I'm glad you questioned it, but it's sort of also an Occam's Razor suggestion...or at least a "wait, why isn't this person ever mentioned?———

1. She was gone for a long time and just came back in the last few years (as in, her income in the last 16 years was what, residuals and investments?)

2. She was with Fleetwood/McVie through, what, technically 5 of the various members who left over the years before Buckingham and Nicks, and was with them through another bunch of revolving members? If her feelings aren't given the same weight as Mick Fleetwood's then perhaps she's as "toxic" as he is and people believe Nicks to be. This "rhythm section" (she's referred to herself as that) has appeared to chew up and spit out guitar players, before and after Nicks.

3. She supposedly almost quit again, disappeared, was in England, people couldn't get a hold of her, Buckingham refers to her supposed "fragility", and in the CBS interview she was the most clearly disturbed (looking away, wringing her hands)—an interpretation of that could go either way. I just think it's strange that NO ONE BELIEVES SHE'D HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT.

Those were my main reasons for advancing McVie's possible part in this, especially because I've read dozens of comments that leave her out of the equation entirely. Not to mention that Nicks and McVie have discussed their shared experiences together over the years and maybe the two of them wanted that again (esp since McVie went out on the road with Buckingham alone)...

And while she's not playing a single C. McVie composition from before 1975 (and a hell of a lot of Tango) there are too many old FM songs in the setlist for this decision to be entirely Stevie Nicks' doing. Yes, Buckingham and McVie made the legend, but the majority of the hits since 1975 are Christine McVie (only As Long As You Follow not going top 40, and like all but 2 are top 20)...how does she not have a say? This wouldn't even be happening without her return. The 2.5 hour Buckingham/Nicks spar-a-thon was getting awfully stale and no one would be having this convo if she hadn't returned. I really believe that above all else.

If everyone really has this 20%/shared agreement he's claiming in the lawsuit then she certainly does have a say. But which is it? That asses in seats can be proven (Nicks upgraded to stadiums as a solo act with the addition of The Pretenders), that Nicks' people call the shots because she makes the most money for the most people? One thing we do know is that Fleetwood is going where the money is. He's always come across as a "Big Daddy"/a psychopath, But Christine McVie is not innocent. And all I can say about John McVie is that if he hadn't almost died of cancer he'd probably be another person to ask a question or two about. Gone fishin' whenever he's been able to over the years, mostly opening his mouth to complain that Buckingham's stripping down his bass parts or costing him money in the studio...

Hell, it was Nicks who noted, shortly after meeting Fleetwood, "beware of the people/who look not straight at you/the keeper of the time is blind"... I just think there's waaay too much speculation about the Nicks/Buckingham angle and I think it's reasonable to assume there's more to this.

OH AND STORMS—that list is AMAZING!!! YES!