Thread: Paper Doll
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristochango View Post
I'm thinkin about going out and buying Behind the Mask and Time.
I know critics said it sucked, but im thinkin i wanna listen to them just to say I have
I definitely encourage you to get Behind The Mask, and any other Mac/solo album you don't have. If for no other reason, to better understand the journey the band has gone through the past 40 years. Behind The Mask definitely doesn't rank anywhere near the top of my favorite Mac albums... but it does have some solid material on it. Christine's material, as always, is great. The title track is spooky and wonderful, and Save Me is textbook bopping Christine. Minus the fabulously malicious Freedom, Stevie's songs are pretty lackluster. Rick and Billy were really starting to showcase their unique imprints on the Mac in this album... with somewhat mixed results. I think Rick really had something to add to the band... but it's my most humble opinion that Billy seemed out of step.

Anyway, I really do like Paper Doll. But I seem to like most any of Stevie and Rick's pairings. The song is just fun, upbeat, and more than a touch snarky... which I particularly enjoy. I've always wondered who the song was about. In my mind, it's about Mick Fleetwood, and the awkward transition of Fleetwood Mac away from Lindsey Buckingham. We all know that Stevie resented staying in Fleetwood Mac after Lindsey's departure, and my guess is that's what this song is about. About Lindsey instantly being replaced by "men with a future" and she was the "woman with a past" who would allow the band to keep floating along, even without one of it's major stars. Stevie obviously wasn't buying it, saying: "Do you really believe that? She said to the faces in the crowd." I could be totally off base, but I strongly suspect the song to be her directing anger towards Mick for insisting Fleetwood Mac trudge on despite the circumstances. Again, this is just my speculation. The song could be directed solely at Lindsey himself... but I just don't think that makes sense if you really listen to the lyrics.