View Single Post
Old 08-27-2001, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This just goes to show what a big fan I am, I'm not saying it would be the "end of the world" but as a big time fan, when stuff gets released, natuarally you would prefer it to be stuff you don't already have (in great condition anyways).

It doesn't matter now as option one is obviously going to win going by the votes and the time that is left so far but I must say that the whole reason I was saying what I was about the goodness of option two was that it was a fair list and by no means "alternative" as it's original label had probably led some to believe as I thought I had covered as many areas as I thought the fans wanted (covering as many "hits" as possible, cutting up shows, having things be from as many (what is deemed as) BN "eras" as possible (given the footage available), trying to keep songwriting "even" (which we know is impossible)) so this being the case, there would be no "reason" for anyone to "freak out" if it was chosen because as many areas as possible had been covered with that lists content for those people who wished such things. I guess I just had the nerve to suggest that we use all the videos (which some people do want a collection of and it would help represent Billy's talent (which he does have if BN only era fans gave him a fair chance) with "In the back of my mind" which is not "embarrasing" to fans of these eras even though it may be considered so by some others (if the assumption seems to be that "everyone only cares about the BN era and that's it" then why are there other fourms on the ledgeboards other than "Rumours", "LB" & "SN"?), one short clip from the Peter Green days and that we don't use Dance/Mirage tape/Tusk doc stuff because we already have it (as this would be sold through here, it's surely reasonable to assume that even the most "casual" of fans would have it and for those who didn't I offered to tape it for themn from my originals for free but I guess this was not good enough, the idea being that it's not DVD. Well, the Tiusk doc could be released in full on a future disc (I'm all for that being on this disc now but that vote didn't seem to go well) and we could think positively that hopefully if we can prove good sales (of 10,000) to Ken's people (which they say they would be happy with) then we could hope that the HBO rights thing could be worked out and have that released in full on disc in the future too. OK, we could get parts of it on here but wouldn't it be more useful if we hope that the whole thing gets released in the future too. If we spend our money wisely and we use different footage here, then we wouldn't have to think when the full discs of Tusk doc/Mirage tape, etc. were released that "well, this is great but now the first disc is mostly redundant as we took up much of the space on disc one with this stuff". As far as me "freaking out" yes, it is upsetting. How would you like it if you were with your friends and you all chipped in to buy something and you agreed to it because they are your friends so you think you agree on all of the ideas as to what you and your friends are looking for and then all of your ideas as to what the money should be spent on are shot down, they decide to go buy something else that you have very little interest in and then they say "OK, you agreed to chip in 25 bucks so hand it over and we'll go buy it" (?) (there are obvious differences between this kind of situation and what is happeneing here but I'm sure you get the idea)

As I understand it, it is Ken's 5.1 Entertainment group that will be putting this out by themselves licensing the material from Warners. So if Warners does think that they want to put it in the stores themselves then so what? Let them. That's their decision. Ken himself in the q & a said that his company would be more than happy with 10,000 sales alone (unlike Warners who want at least 100,000). So, this being the case, why not have no "duplication" so it is of most use to us and our collections rather than worry about what Jimmy Crack Corn on the street thinks about it? If they do release it, all that should matter to us is that we can get our copy here which we know we could (if the signatures add up and it goes ahead). I mean so what if Warners think "oh well, there's no Dance stuff on here so we won't release it in the stores"? It's better to have quality product and not have it break sales records than put out something with only half useful stuff on there for fans in the hopes that Warners sell it in the stores so it can be "successful" and everything "looks good". I'm not saying "The dance" isn't quality product, I'm simply saying we as fans, who would be the only ones to buy this if we assume the "worst" and that Warners doesn't release it in the stores) regardless how "casual" a fan they are, if they are a regular visitor to this site and buy merchandise at the Penguin album corner they won't be so "casual" that they won't already have it or can easily get it. So why buy it again? If you as a fan really want a "best of" collection of this duplicating nature that bad then why not dub your own copy (like making audio tapes for people) rather than make other fans buy one just because some of you want it to be that way? Surely a VHS copy instead of DVD of this material which you can dub from your originals of these things would not be the "end of the world" to you as a fan too right? Ken's people would be happy with the 10,000 sold here and hopefully would then agree to future releases sold though here. This possibly being the case, why have a big portion of every possible disc relese be stuff we already have, wouldn't it be more sensible spending money on stuff we don't have? I certainly know that's how I'd rather spend my money and I'm sure I'm not alone on that thought. I just hope some of those people will back me up on this thought here but we'll see I guess.

Just as Marty had stated that he had done a search on the petition database to see that only a few hunderd of the two thousand so far had specifically requested VHS so this wasn't though of as a major issue (from the beginning of the project (if it materializes) anyways), it could be argued that one could do a search on the petiton database to see how few people have stated that they only want "parts" of Mirage tape/Tusk doc/dance on there as it must be reasonably assumed that those that had stated "I'd like to see the Tusk documentary on DVD" (or words to such effect) surely mean that they want the "whole thing" on disc as oppossed to just "bits and pieces" of such programs.

Aside from all of that, we are only discussing the replacements for these three songs now so I guess I'll voice then again when Les sets up the thread tonight for discussion for Tuesday and Wednesday regarding this topic. I know my ideas have not been well recieved and they don't have a hope of being considered but as I've stated elsewhere, I just want to do it so when I grow old I won't always have to think "what if I'd posted this thought, it mighht have made a difference" so I'll grasp on to this sad chance and follow through with it so I can rest easy in future years that at least I tried something even though as I say even with three lousy replacements, this disc is going to be nothing like what I personally would have put on there but I hope something of use can get on there for the fans that want stuff on there that you can't get on another DVD. We'll see what happens though.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 08-27-2001 at 09:59 AM.