View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I recall back in the ancient 1980s there was a news blip which reported that Janey Don't You Lose Your Heart (or something close to that title) was a Bruce Springsteen song that Stevie was going to record. It's possible it never happened. I think his version, which remained unreleased, eventually appeared on a rarities compilation he released.
Hi PenguinHead,
Yes this is essentially correct except that Bruce did initially release the song in 1985 as the B-Side to I'm Going Down.
I have always wanted to hear Stevie's take on it.
Here is the WIKI blurb on it.

The B-side of the single, "Janey, Don't You Lose Heart" is a mid-tempo out-take from the latter stages of the Born in the U.S.A. recording sessions. It has often been rumoured that the song was written for or about[citation needed] Fleetwood Mac vocalist Stevie Nicks, although neither Springsteen or Nicks have confirmed this. In 1985 E Street Band newcomer Nils Lofgren made his first recorded appearance with Springsteen, by overdubbing a backing vocal onto the 1983 track (and in doing so replacing those of Steven Van Zandt on the recording. The Van Zandt version also ran nearly a minute longer, with a long instrumental coda on the end that was later scrubbed from the official release). Many years later "Janey" would surface on the box set Tracks.