View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The big issues with "Time" as I see them:

1. Not enough Billy Burnette. Considering how beautiful he sounds with Christine and with Bekka, there were a lot missed opportunities to really create something special.

2. Dave Mason. Had he been the same Dave we knew from ALL of his albums up until "Time", it could have worked. But Dave as a hard rocker (and these days, a blues man) just doesn't work.

3. Not letting Bekka be Bekka. Yeah, Bekka and Billy were heading in a soulful country direction. LET 'EM. For God's sake, if there's a credible creative direction to follow, then run with it. I'd rather have ten albums of Bekka and Billy doing their thing (albeit with a bit more edge, which a great rhythm section can provide) than a hundred albums of Dave "We Just Disagree" Mason trying to be a hard rocker.

4. Too many extra musicians. It's a good band on its own. Why bother?

5. Too many different producers. Although, to their credit, all did better than Greg Ladanyi. (Still wished Patrick Leonard produced it....)

Bekka was a strong, powerful vocalist who had an equally strong stage presence. Yeah, she had blonde hair, but if Mick wasn't serious about letting her be herself, why even bother?

I suspect there are too many people giving bad advice to Fleetwood Mac, then and now.

THE Stephen Hopkins