View Single Post
Old 07-18-2004, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
I'd be curious to find out exactly what his share of the liability here is. Seems to me the people who actually stole the intellectual property and released it without authorization are the real villains.
That's what I'm questioning, too.
Would this Jeffrey guy really be considered liable for selling something that he apparently bought legitimately (didn't he say he found it in a used-record store, or did I misunderstand)?
If a seemingly legitimate record company (in this case, Karma Records), manufactures a product, and someone buys it through legitimate sources, isn't it their property to do with as they please (ie: re-selling it on eBay or elsewhere, if they so desire)?

Certainly Karma Records can (and should) be held accountable for releasing something that never belonged to them in the first place... but once someone else buys a copy of it, I'm not sure that any legal burden should be placed on them if they choose to re-sell it.
But, admittedly, I don't know every nuance of the laws regarding these types of situations.