Thread: Reno
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Adventures in Reno (or how I got Stevie Adjacent again)

Before there was Anthony Lower, and before even Ronnie Reeves, there was my mother, Janet Chick Baker playing the Bella Donna album around the house when I was maybe 8 years old. That was my first memory of Stevie Nicks. How that became my full blown obsession, I can’t tell you. People ask me all the time ‘What is it about Stevie?’ There are plenty of reasons: her songwriting, her image, the message she crafts, but the one reason that really matters, I cannot fully articulate. Stevie is to be Experienced, not Explained.

Mom texted me in early December to tell me that Stevie would be in Reno, and that I should come up and take her to the concert. It was said in fun, and I don’t think she really thought I would. I knew the minute she asked that this was something I should do for her. Like many mothers out there, my mother gives of herself so much, and works to make sure those around her are taken care of and happy. She sacrificed and worked hard to provide for her children. it was time for her to be rewarded.

Most of my time with mom is just for the two of us, but I will tell you all about the concert. I, of course, brought my Erica Palay original Stand Back scarf, both for Erica and also for Anthony, so that he was with us in spirit. I also added my new top hat from my Austin trip a few weeks ago. In fact, I wore the same exact outfit I had worn in Dallas with Anthony. I just added the hat. Not to be outdone, mom brought her hat, and a lovely silvery scarf, and a black blue with crystal appliqués. We were stopped several times and complimented on our duds (especially the hats).

(The Pretenders took to the stage. They were amazing. Moving on.)

And now it’s time for Church. Stevie took to the stage looking radiant and fabulous. This is the first time I’ve seen two shows from the same tour, so I’ll refrain from a song by song critique. I will say how much Stevie seems to be enjoying herself. Both times now, I have seen her at the beginning of the tour, and she is vibrant, energetic, so talkative, and in excellent voice. I of course, sang along with every song. My mother is the more casual fan, but I could see her enjoying even the songs that were new to her (later, she would tell me it was just as much fun to watch me watching Stevie as it was for her to watch Stevie).

The highlights from the show were again Moonlight and the Wild Heart/Bella Donna medley. Stevie seriously needs to re-record Moonlight.

As the show would down, Stevie performed Landslide, which has become something of a crowd sing along. For me, it’s not cheesy at all. It’s Stevie leading her followers in hymn. I wrapped my arm around my mother and we swayed to the music as I sang and thought about this marvelous woman beside me, and all she’s done for me. One concert isn’t enough to pay her back, but it’s a start. That is the image I will always remember from the show.

The show is over and we walk back to the hotel where we parked. It’s only a block, but it’s also only 25 degrees outside. I of course, refused to bring a coat, as I didn’t have one that matched my outfit. I mean, that’s reasonable. We get to the hotel and wait around for the valet to bring the car, with about 30 other concert goers. It’s so cold, we all wait inside. So every 5 minutes, I go outside to see if the car has arrived. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd time, I walk out. No car. I turn around to go back in when I see a large group headed to the doors of the hotel. Being the gentleman I am, I held the door open for them. As the get closer, I see Sharon Celani, Stevie’s backup singer. Immediately, my mind flashed to my awkward encounter with Lori Nicks back in Dallas. “Keep it together, Ham!” I admonish myself, and as the ENTIRE BAND walks through the door, I say: “You sounded great, Sharon! Hey, Carlos, great guitar. New Drummer Guy! You were fantastic! Marylin, such a beautiful voice!” They all thank me and walk though, as I’m congratulating myself for being so cool...and then remembering I have on my top hat. Marilyn even says, ‘Nice Scarf.’

This time, I decide it’s not stupid to ask for a photo, so I scramble back up to Sharon and politely ask her to pose with Marilyn. She says ok, and I say, “Great! Let me go get my Mommy!” Sharon and Marilyn are gracious, and so sweet. We take the photo and they walk on, as I try to keep from fainting.

I think to myself how lucky I am, and that this tour will always be extra special, as I got to see one show with my bestie and one with my mother. Both times I even got to meet backup singers. How could it possibly get any better? I ask myself as I drift off to sleep.
The next morning, Shannon Rusnack calls me.
To be continued...