Thread: Unexpected FM
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 06:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm sure that you can bend. Over and Over.

At least Tango was an early Lindsey production, where everything is passable. BTM is exactly like SYW(where Lindsey had lost his editing skills), where it's HALF AN ALBUM of acceptable songs, half an album of turds.

Time is better than both BTM AND SYW.
But on BTM you hear the classic rhythm section of Fleetwood Mac play again almost on every song. You hear key elements of the classic line up. Tango just has way too many programmed parts for my liking. I hate that mid 80s laziness which was considered the modern sound. But it did not only impact Fleetwood Mac. Paul McCartney released a few solo albums in the mid 80s that also embraced this mid 80s programmed sound. Paul had no commercial success and people even forget about these albums. The music just sounds cheap IMHO. Paul is a musical genius like Lindsey but I really disliked their toying with this technology. Jefferson Starship also did this. In 1984 they released Nuclear Furniture which is a pretty good album. They released 2 great singles which were not that commercially successful (except on rock stations). Their next album was a big success because they embraced the syth programmed pop of We Built This City and Sara which both went to #1. Nuclear Furniture was a great album with real instruments and the singles No Way Out and Laying It On The Line are far superior to We Built This City and Sara. This mid/late 80s crap music unfortunately impacted Fleetwood Mac too. Tango could not only have been a bigger success but held up over time instead of embracing the current pop trends. But I know the pressure on Lindsey and the band to have a hugely successful pop album after 5 years and Mick's bankruptcy. You never or rarely hear Big Love or Seven Wonders on the radio even on stations devoted to 80s music. They were cute pop songs that chart and then get forgotten about. Chris's 2 singles you hear almost every day. I think Everywhere would have been a much bigger hit if it was not so programmed and it was recorded similar to the live version. Having said all of this, I've said this before...with the amount of charting singles, Tango should have sold much better in the USA than it did. But I think even pop single lovers even could see the meh of most of the music.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-20-2021 at 07:44 AM..