View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 01:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I’m really sorry to use your somewhat underwhelming experience to prove a point but it proves it better then anything else yet.

This tour is not the the Stevie Nicks show, it is truly a FLEETWOOD MAC show that highlights the great FIFTY year career and incredible accomplishments of both Mick and John and the many who helped along the way and have been largely ignored the past 40 years.

Stevie is singing lead a mere FIVE Stevie Nicks written songs and only four of those are hits. Clearly Gypsy is an option and would for sure gain more applause no matter how badly it is performed.

Stevie is instead using her star power to highlight the rest of the band, both past members and new ones. Above all elese. the greatest thing she’s done is take th lead on Black Magic Woman and hammer home that it is a Fleetwood Mac song written by a Peter Green, so the morons in the arena don’t consider it a Santana Cover. (And apparently Stevie herself is grouped in with those morons? )

She’s also basically taken co-lead on I Got You, which essentially has turned the song into a new Fleetwood Mac song as far as someone like me is concearned since I had never heard the song before Wednesday.

Free Fallin is a tribute to Tom which I could see people thinking that makes this more of the Stevie show but I don’t agree. I find it purely a tribute to Tom and how important he was Stevie and the new lead guitarist in the band.

And then the touching closing song is a duet between Stevie and Christine, which granted is a former Christine solo lead vocal so turning it into a duet could be a point for the Stevie show but I look at it as another way Stevie is using her star power to elevate a very obscure Christine song.

And I’ve felt all this before your review, but this is a perfect example of the true reality of this tour.
Well said on all of this. Exactly. And I’m really okay with all of this with a single caveat- I mentioned in my reply above how poorly I felt the entire band really did at engaging the crowd (and Stevie actually didn’t talk much at alllast night especially further into the show. I think I would’ve liked a little more from her or from Chris maybe?). There was so much of everyone turning around or away from the crowd to exchange looks or whatever so they really seemed to be in their own bubble and even taking the fact this is Fleetwood Mac out of the equation- for any live show, I would have wanted to be more engaged with personally. Last night was the best seat I’ve ever had to a show and yet I felt so far away in a sense. Right or wrong or as for whether this is what everyone would’ve wanted, I think if it HAD been more of a “Stevie show” at least there would’ve been a little more audience engagement?

I know the man I sat next to who weirdly explained he and his wife were there BECAUSE of the new band members? (They didn’t elaborate and I tried to explain what was missing without Lindsey and just gather the guy especially would’ve really loved seeing Lindsey too) He was sooo impressed with GDW. I’m so meh to that and the dance. I filmed it specifically for a friend who is a big fan and loves the dance and shawl and all. But I didn’t remotely get the awestruck feel this guy had. But as much as that dance is pretty indulgent it was also one of the only quintessential FM crowd pleasers that even happened. And it all would’ve been such a different show with Lindsey running all over the stage and all. Oh and I mean there was the endless Mick yammering and banging on the drums and a super trippy backdrop with old photos of Mick and John interspersed. Quintessential Mac except it *was* World Turning without LB and Mick drew his thing out so obscenely and wildly long it was frankly disgusting. That’s the most ego by far I saw that night. And it was frankly rather disgusting.

Stevie definitely more than ever felt more “one of the band” than so is often the case at FM shows where she’s that huge draw and her every move makes people scream. I think I respect that a ton.

And I loved Free Fallin and it was “a moment” even if engineered to be one. I love Tom Petty and I spent a lot of my teens playing Stevie’s Enchanted box set so have always had a soft spot for her cover (and the other covers she did in that boxset). It was actually probably my favorite Stevie part of the show and it went over very well. Also I found it super cute the way she was gesturing and smiling and turning to Christine throughout several of the love songs. It was so cute and especially in the present climate, if I need someone to “ship” in this band, well I’m shipping Stevie and Chris. I’ve always adored female/female duets so that was nice to see with them too. And as I’ve already said around here a few times- I would not be near as bothered or conflicted on things if there had been a way to do this tour without pulling in new people and the focus had instead been on all Christine and Stevie.

Also they’re selling a nice shirt with Stevie and Christine that says Sisters of the Moon I just had to buy. Far warning for anyone considering buying merch especially if any of it goes up online- the women’s fit shirts are HUGE. Way more than the last two tours and I’m a very, very small, petite person and was not happy. The Stevie and Christine shirt while gorgeous has the weirdest cut of all too. So if any of those go up online, size down A LOT if you’re expecting them to fit like the women’s shirts from previous years. The current “women’s” shirts could all, with exception of the weird cut and neck of the Sisters shirt, be worn by men and are more or less cut that way but on softer fabric. Lots of penguin logos on all the merch right now.