View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Ledgie

Default He was the best.

Although I have always thought that debating the question of who was the greatest player from that era or any other was somewhat futile given personal taste, etc.. A guitar player freind of mine once told me that to make an honest judgement on this subject, you would have to listen to 300-400 players satarting with Mister Johnson and freinds up to the time when computer technology changed most everything, 1975 or so..

Well, thanks to Youtube I have managed to listen to most of those 400 players and still I haven't found anyone that was in Peter's class at that time, not Henrix, Clapton, Beck, not even Buddy Guy. I thought maybe I would find his equal in the Jazz world, but here as well, I just can't find any player that is or was on the same level, close, but no cigar.

Thanks Slipkid for the Youtube links. I have heard the Round House and Stockholm versions on Youtube but they are the only boots that I have not yet aquired. I have the Carousel Ballroom boot with Worried Dream and yes it is stunning. Your comment about Owlsley is interesting, I've wondered who taped that show as it was pre Dinky Dawson.