View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Gee, I thought that every member of this forum had a contribution to make, regardless of where their preferences (band-wise) might lie. It's important to respect everyone's views, whether we agree with them or not. Some healthy discussion, devoid of vilification, ought to be the order of the day.
We haven't had this kind of heated, yet thought provoking discussion in some time. I, for one, am very much enjoying seeing all these ideas debated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
She didn't say it like she couldn't physically do it. She said it like it's not something that a lady would do or would be asked to do. I'm not saying that she should be lugging equipment or not lugging it one way or another. I'm saying that I think she tends to assign gender labels herself, in a way that I think is itself a form of sexism. Well, gender labels to women. I've never heard her say anything about what men should do or expect them to fit into their more stereotypical roles, but I have seen her make comments that suggest women should do that in the past.

As for the floating goddess comment, it just sounded flaky to me. Still, I don't think it suggested that women who are not "princesses" should be discriminated against, however. In fact, I don't think she said that women deserve to be treated shabbily if they don't do this or that at all. She did not suggest that women have brought the differential treatment on themselves, in this latest comment.

Michele
You're totally right. I remember one time she said she doesn't drink anymore (which we've all seen footage of her drinking over & over, but I digress), because men are allowed to be drunk onstage/in public, but if a woman ever does that, it's looked down upon & never forgotten. A true feminist would view that summation to be utterly sexist, and eschew it.

I also tend to think it's a terribly insulting to women musicians when she constantly throws around the fact that as a woman, she would not have been able to have children and be a rock star. Plenty of women have successfully pulled it off. Plenty of women have had long marriages & balanced their music careers, too. I think it's completely her prerogative to forgo marriage & children for her career. But when she says she wasn't capable of combining marriage and/or children with her career, that's when her feminist credentials get a bit questionable, in my eyes.