View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i have to disagree.
i think i read about 25 reviews of this record - in all the major newspapers across the country along with respected music magazines. All but one, gave it a stellar review.

i think Under The Skin has been a huge success and it's only been out for less than two months.

if you glance at the Billboard Top 40 you will see very little rock on there.
and what is on there, barely passes for music with integrity or artistic merit.
and this has been the case for quite some time. i can't believe there are still Lindsey fans out there that equate sales with success.
Bob Dylan's record peaked at No. 1. But this is the rare exception.

Here's a review copy and pasted from Amazon that says it all pretty perfectly:

If Lindsey Buckingham went out of his way to try every production trick in the book for his previous three records (and the last three Fleetwood Mac studio albums), Under The Skin offers a refreshing breather with nothing more then an old delay pedal to dirty up the vocals. The result is an often astonishingly raw cycle of songs that dig a little deeper than normal into the tug of war between making art and keeping family relationships intact.
With the vocals pushed slightly back into the mix and acoustic guitar brought up front with little or almost no percussion, at times John Lennon's Plastic Ono era comes to mind; but melodies not far removed from Joni Mitchell's "Blue" pop up here and there. Buckingham has always been a unique singular talent, but he's also never been afraid to pay homage to such obvious influences as Brian Wilson and Elvis Presley. Those same influences are still with him, but they're presented in such a way that Thom Yorke of Radiohead could easily find a kindered spirit in the overall sound. Under The Skin isn't music that will conjure up your mother's Fleetwood Mac. But it is one of the most challenging and engaging and cohesive records we've heard in quite some time. If continuing to inspire some thirty odd years after producing your first work defines a true artist, then Lindsey Buckingham need not worry about his legacy. Fans of Tusk take notice, this is not something you want to miss out on.

Last edited by dontlookdown; 11-21-2006 at 01:31 PM..