View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hello all---

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
That being said, Fleetwood Mac is an entirely different animal. Christine & Lindsey seem to totally feed off the musical conflict of working out songs. It brings out the best in both of them creatively. They challenge & respect each other musically. It's sort of like musical crossfit for them. This back & forth is part of what makes Fleetwood Mac rise to greatness.
This is exactly what I’ve been thinking. Perfectly stated.

Quote:
Stevie has admitted since the 1970s that she doesn't care for that sort of thing when it comes to her own music. She doesn't like tampering with her vision, changing/paring her lyrics, etc. She brings forth a flower bud and expects Fleetwood Mac to simply provide the water which allows it to bloom. This is probably why she's been so reticent to record with the band again, especially after the empowering & affirming stint with Dave Stewart. For the first time in her career, she got to work exactly as she'd always dreamed. Now she has to go back to being 1/5 of a group. Which means she has less of a say in the music that has her name on it, and in the end, back to compromise.
If writing with Dave makes Stevie happy, then I hope she continues to do so to her heart’s content. And I don’t even mind if she brings those songs to the band…

…as long as Dave doesn’t produce the sessions. His sound is a fine match for Stevie’s solo work, but not a Fleetwood Mac record.

And the possibility of the album being a combination of songs from two different sessions [Lindsey and the band on one hand, Dave’s sessions on the other] is bad news for anyone hoping for a last great album. It might have a few great songs, but it’s hard to combine different sessions overseen by different producers into one cohesive album.

Quote:
Does this mean I think Dave Stewart should produce Fleetwood Mac? Absolutely not. I think it'd be disastrous. Fleetwood Mac needs creative friction, not just a yes man. I also foresee it being a trainwreck if Lindsey produces his & Christine's songs, but Dave produces Stevie's. I think ideally for me, Lindsey should produce everyone's songs with another producer who will provide a second opinion.
I agree that the interaction---and part of that is the friction---is what makes the magic. And I don’t think Lindsey’s music should be immune to input from the others. If he intends to dish it out, he should be ready to take it, too.

If he includes a stupid lyric in a song---and let’s face it, he’s written some silly ones over the years---he should be prepared for it to be criticized by the rest of the band, including Stevie. The back and forth is what makes a band a band. Otherwise, you can just do it all yourself [like a lot of Lindsey's solo work] or call Dave Stewart and some backing musicians. Neither of those options comes with a fraction of the magic that Fleetwood Mac brings.

It’s also funny that Stevie’s Dylan defense was noted. When I first saw DESTINY RULES, I nearly laughed out loud when she said that to Lindsey, who was, himself, clearly biting a hole in his lip to keep from shooting back a blunt response.

The fact that she would compare herself to Dylan is pretty funny, really. I was discussing this with a friend who’s a music critic for a major US newspaper, and he told me that Dylan himself used to ask for and get criticism from famed poet Allen Ginsberg. “It’s a shame she doesn’t see the value in having somebody question the process,” my friend said. And, in Stevie’s defense, it might be that she’s okay with someone else---Christine, maybe---questioning her lyrics. But not Lindsey. And that would be understandable, given their history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
How can John, Christine, Mick and Stevie NOT sound like Fleetwood Mac???
Because John, Christine, Mick, and Stevie aren’t Fleetwood Mac. They are 4/5 of the group. And if Dave Stewart is behind the board, they won’t sound like Fleetwood Mac much at all. They’ll sound like Dave Stewart producing a band that sounds a little like Fleetwood Mac.

And, for the record, I want Waddy’s “set-up.” Cool old amps.

matt