View Single Post
Old 09-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12
In my opinion, her worst singing days were 1989-1993, when she not only didn't take risks, but didn't even sound good playing it safe. She couldn't sing a note in tune to save her life on the BTM and Timespace tours.
Interesting comments from several of you.
To me, Stevie's problems as a singer are beyond her control, & started back on the 1987 tour. It's just not her fault, obviously, but she's got a 55-year-old voice, still pleasantly gin-soaked but so deep that's it's like a basso profundo, & it's lost its pliancy. Stevie has the Mary Travers Syndrome. Poor Stevie's voice box is like an echo chamber filled with phlegm. I know people find it romantic to attribute any perceived decline in her singing to this drug or that drug or smoking or whatever, but I think it's essentially just aging that's responsible.

I'm not sure what her vocal coach has been doing with her -- maybe concentrating on saving what remains rather than creating more pliancy & extending the range. Where are her arpeggiated figures & her somersaulting (so prevalent on the Wild Heart Tour)? Age has destroyed them. And so it must to many of our voices.