View Single Post
Old 09-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
But she doesn't seem to want to do much of anything with her voice, she just wants to drone on and stay as safe as possible and I think it makes her performances a tad boring at times. Johnny has said that she's probably just more concerned with sounding pitch-perfect more than ever before, but I think that's why she doesn't sound as good; because she's concentrating so much that it muddles her performance.
I really do think that's what it comes down to. She's afraid that, if she takes a chance at hitting a note she hasn't rehearsed or sung a million times, then she might not hit it... so she just doesn't try. Preferring to stay in her "comfort range."

I've often felt that her working with a voice coach on the 'Dance' tour was the "beginning of the end," as far as Stevie's days of vocal risk-taking.

I find myself between a rock and a hard place though, because I still love how she's singing these days. I think she sounds fantastic... different, but fantastic. I also think she's singing certain songs better than she EVER could have sung them live before (case in point: "Beautiful Child" and "Goodbye Baby").

But, at the same time, I find myself longing for the days when she'd cut loose on every line of every song, and would let the chips fall wherever they may.

It caused some cringe-worthy moments over the years, but it also provided MANY exhilarating, "how the hell does she DO that" moments.

And I don't really mean to steer a thread about Christine, on her own forum no less, towards Stevie again, so I'd like to add that I wholeheartedly agree that Christine has always been the better singer in Fleetwood Mac, technically speaking.
Of every singer who's passed through their ranks, she still stands out as the best all-around vocalist.