View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Lindsey

his strongest set of songs, both musically and lyrically, i feel is the GOS/SYW period - which was really the mid to late 90s. i guess that coincides with the period in his life when he finally cleaned up and got re-rooted. songs he wrote for the originally GOS that ended up scattered on SYW, UTS and GOS were incredibly strong set of songs (and what makes SYW such a great album, beyond poppiness and adult comtemporariness of your mainstream Rumours-era FM. i feel Lindsey's 2nd best periods are Seeds (2010-2011) and Tusk periods. beyond those 2, he had individual or 2-songs flashes (like SHN and GYOW pair) but not the whole sets like during GOS, SWS and Tusk.

his weakest song set - a lot of Mirage and Tango. lazy lyrics, music drawing from periods that i don't care about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalBegin View Post
Wow... to pick Say You Will as Lindsey's worst batch of songs when he wrote some of the most interesting, extraordinary songs of his entire career on that album.

Come, Red Rover, Miranda, Say Goodbye, Peacekeeper... not to mention the previously released Bleed to Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away ... wow. Just wow. Some great songwriters have entire careers without hitting those kinds of peaks. I am... speechless.

Now ... his songs on Mirage and Tango are pretty hit and miss, no problem agreeing with that. Empire State and Family Man? No thanks.
ha look at this - for once we agree!

i am also thinking i definitely do not belong in FM fandom when i see opinions such as that LB's SYW songs are not strong. one may like them or not, they may not be to people's taste, but to not think they are incredibly strong batch of songs, lyrically and musically, is mind boggling to me.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"