View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Although Tusk is a pop masterpiece in it's own right, I think I would do his work on '75 and Rumours a great disservice by not recognizing that his work is the dictionary definition of classic rock while Tusk is more of a "cult classic". When you put on the '75 album and are immediately treated to Lindsey's voice "Monday morning you sure look fine... it showcases a previously underappreciated talent in Mr Buckingham. Same with Blue Letter "when your day goes down, I won't be waitin' around for you". World Turning, although a partially "borrowed" song from Peter Green, the sounds he got out of his guitar are nothing short of brilliant. Ending with his show stopping masterpiece, which remains to this day in I'm so Afraid, heck he even recycled it a couple of times in Tango and This is the Time.

Rumours brought him into the stratosphere talent wise. Second Hand News like Monday Morning, is one of those songs you can listen to again and again and it never grows stale. His musicianship in Never Going Back Again in its various incarnations again showcase his unmatchable talent. Go Your Own Way is Lindsey's career defining song, he has never not played it live and the temptation to turn it up really loud will never fade. Lastly, what Lindsey did with the Chain, he has never quite captured since and probably could have out of the more brilliant pieces of Stevie Nicks demos that we know exist, and the musical pieces he's written, especially in the late career trilogy of brilliant solo albums.

Other albums, especially Tusk, have other examples of Lindsey's brilliance, but he changed the course of his career in 1979 and decided not to make the classic sound again. His work has been stellar, but none of it is as good as these two first Fleetwood Mac albums. Part of me wishes he had kept to that meticulous way of writing, arranging and recording music. I think I read recently where Ken Calliat wanted to take Tusk into more of a musically perfect album than Rumours and with the quality of songs on the album, I can't help but wonder how they would have sounded if that direction had been taken.
Brilliant defense of 75 and Rumours. Add Come to the list of ISA-redeux.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.