View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
With or without Christine, they are not really a heavy rock band. Lindsey isn't the most masculine music writer either. But I think that's what makes the chemistry so great. They all blend well together.
nope. after all, Neale is the one who wrote Come.

for the most part, they are not even rock band, let alone heavy.

i think Lindsey considers himself pop, but the stuff i like from him is either folkish, punkish, or rock, or those songs of his based on cascading fingerpicking guitar. i can't stand Trouble (with the exception of it's quirky start). or most of his Mirage or Tango songs. there's a lot of LB's music i don't really like, but the stuff i do like i love so much that it way outweighs the other stuff. while confused at first with his musical diversity of styles i can appreciate his having that huge range now.

Christine is pop master. she is the McCartney of that band. of course, i prefer Lennon. which nobody is in FM. or Harrison.

when i first heard Greatest Hits i was disappointed. i expected FM to be more Peter Green-era like. GH is Christine-heavy. pure happy pop. nothing wrong with that but not what i expected or wanted from FM. i couldn't believe that's the same band as the one with Albatross and Oh Well (well, it really is not). i bought GH back in 1992 maybe, listened to it a few times searching for something to like, couldn't believe what i was hearing, hated it and put it down. i was young. i enjoyed grunge. in 2009 when i finally decided to dive into LB's music after hearing Second Hand News over and over on the radio i listened to GH again, and enjoyed it. all those bubbly Christine songs made me happy. and a bit nostalgic, from hearing them all those years before, i guess.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"