Thread: Katrina
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Another thing - I used to tutor the kids from some of these projects after they got out of school. It was a way for their parent(s) - who mostly worked at fast food places, as maids, etc., to have free sitters while they earned relatively little. They would pick up their kids and thank me with tears and occasionally a pie or something like that. Can you imagine what an honor it was to me to get a pie or fried chicken that probably costs these people $10.00 to make when these same people had to work three hours that day to make that $10.00 and most worked two jobs and had little free time. I cry to this day thinking about it. They were so thankful to me and the others because they did not want their kids to land where they did in the heap. Moreover, many of those kids were so bright and eager to learn, but the schools were too crowded to give them what they needed. I am not saying all of this to praise myself. I say it to cast further light on the plight of many of these people and also to note that the vast majority are good, hard working, and decent people who life and their fellow man have mostly treated poorly.

Anyway - sorry for the vent/rant/etc.
I swear I got a little choked up reading this. You really are a GOOD person. You helped those kids and those parents and it was probably so worth it to them to bake you a pie. I'd rather have the pie than cash anyday for something like that coz the pie was made with appreciation and even love. Very cool and I'm glad you posted that. You and those parents who worked hard to give their kids a better life and even harder to thank you racked up MAJOR karma points. And see? That's what I was talking about. You helped them, they helped you and eveybody walked away happy or at least not feeling like a piece of s*it despite poverty. I wish the world could work that way all the time.