View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
Not to be all Stevie Nicks in the 85 interview currently posted in her forum, but I swear to God, I woke up this year, and I was suddenly good at math. I just came back from my calc class, and after missing two days, I still seemed to understand the lesson more clearly than most of the other students did. Before a few months ago, that NEVER would have happened. I'm going to break down the reasoning behind this for you all, though I'm sure no one cares.

High school was fairly valueless for me. I rarely went when I was enrolled, and in the middle of senior year, I graduated early. I knew I had been or would be accepted to most of the colleges I had applied to, and working and earning money seemed a much better use of my time than sitting mindlessly in a classroom. I felt like I had played the game long enough. The only thing I really regretted was that I felt that I never understood math. I could memorize what formulas we were taught and memorize what problems to apply them to, but I never knew *why* I was applying them, and I didn't quite see the use in being graded on my memory.....so I just didn't try. At all. I didn't do my homework, I didn't study for the tests, and I only managed high grades because even barely attending, if you hear a formula again and again, it's eventually going to stick.

So. I got to Wellesley. I had a vague notion of what algebra III was, an even vaguer notion of what pre-calc was, and feeling ignorant while floating around with people who had taken math in the 10th grade that I've never even dreamed of started to really piss me off. I decided to take calculus just for the exposure, though I was sure I would flounder and fail. In the span of one week, I became more than comfortable with concepts of pre-calculus that I felt I had no hope of ever really grasping before because, for the first time, I was taught the why of it, not just the how. I can work with a "why." Learning a "why" makes sense to me. I might actually bother to do it. Now that we're on to actual calculus, I'm even more intrigued. There are graphs, there are theories behind the graphs, they physically make sense and offer explanations.

The moral of the story is that I'm currently having a love affair with mathematics, JTIS.

Oh, except downside now? I feel like I've garnered what I needed to from college, that it's the governing principles, the big ideas, the "why"s, behind any idea that are far more important than the actual idea itself. I'm kind of over college.
Just wait until you have to get a job. Believe me you'll be over that even sooner!