Thread: Oh Well
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
something low-key seems more likely- some studio sessions or club gigs playing blues classics and a few fm tunes with support musicians seems more plausible.
I agree, and I would really welcome something like this, although hopefully without supporting musicians.

My hope/suggestion: Just put Pete, Mick and John (assuming Jeremy won't bite) in a studio with a producer who knows what he's doing (like Rick Rubin, or somebody else who knows how to get the most out of a minimalist arrangement and elicit inspired performances from the artists he's working with), and let them run through a bunch of old blues classics for a few weeks, some Robert Johnson or Howlin' Wolf tunes or whatever strikes their fancy (or, if they're feeling really inspired, a few tunes by some newer blues-influenced groups, like the White Stripes or Black Keys). Pick out ten or twelve of the best tracks, and build an album out of that. I think something along these lines has much more potential to be successful and interesting and relevant than some kind of attempt at nostalgia concerts; I just don't see Peter being up for that kind of thing without hiding behind supporting players, and it seems like expectations would be well above what the results would undoubtedly be.

So... Joe... can you get cracking on whispering some of these suggestions into the right ears? (I mean, welcome to the Ledge!)