View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In researching the band, I often came across references to Spencer’s “Elvis impersonation” as part of their act from the beginning.
Yet, if that were true, how is it that these moments were never captured on tape?
It is possible that the tapers just didn’t bother recording that portion of the shows, but it seems strange, that no one recorded even a single song (at least not one that has been put into circulation).

To me, it seems more probable that people are actually referring to the band doing the “rock ‘n roll encores” (the Little Richard numbers that Green was so fond of ) – the first recordings that we have of those are from their first American tour (pre-Kirwan), and I don’t believe that Spencer changed clothes to do them; he and Green just played.

I think that the Earl Vincent character came about later, when the band began working on “Then Play On”.
The first recording that we have of ‘Teenage Darling’ is from December of 1969. And again, that is the only song we have of Spencer performing as Earl Vincent.
Unless, he was wearing the suit when singing and playing numbers such as ‘Great Balls of Fire’ and ‘Tiger’ but not performing as Earl Vincent.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder