View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Les Paul not strat

I went to "wiped.com" (a website devoted to lost video, and audio material), and discovered that the show "Colour Me Pop" is in high demand for the videos that still exist of bands from the late 60's. Many claim that the BBC erased their footage right after broadcast, yet someone responded that two years later when Peter Green left the band, the BBC showed this footage in tribute to his departure.

To make this footage more rare, Peter Green is playing his Fender Stratocaster. It doesn't matter the guitar, the tone is amazing![/QUOTE]

It was I who posted on that site about seeing the tribute when Peter quit. It was on an edition of Late Night Line Up on BBC2. a live magazine prog broadcast at perhaps 10.30 every night. I believe the clip they used was Love That Burns .(but I might be conflating (Ooh Matron!)
I also of course saw the Fleetwood Mac Colour Me Pop when it was broacast .
Peter used his Les Paul on all songs , to the best of my recollection ,except , in a filmed insert of Need Your Love So Bad, and .I could be wrong ,but I think he was playing a strat in this , poss even a Sunburst one and I think?he was sitting on a chair !!?(it was 40 years ago!!) I think this bit was in B&W, but its possible I saw the whole thing in B&W as we may not yet have got a Colour TV !
The basis of the show was they put a band on the studio for a 30 poss 40 minute prog presumably taped prior to broadcast , and let them get on with it playing live (no audience incidentally )therefore it was unusual to have a filmed part .
Other lost Colour Me Pop gems include a very young Free, Chicken Shack , Frank Zappa and many, many more - including the pick of the so called "underground bands "of the time in fact - those that did sessions on John Peel's Top Gear Radio show though there were also some "middle of the road and "pop" artistes

So you could say all these recordings are reported missing in Acton (English BBC related joke )

Last edited by THD; 02-12-2011 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: just adding a little more info