Thread: Austin show
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Austin show

I went to the Austin show last night. This was my second time seeing her solo; I've seen posts here complaining about the setlist and how she talked too much, but I loved every minute of it.

I went with a friend who is more of a casual fan, and he really enjoyed hearing her stories. I suspect that a lot of people who haven't heard these stories countless times probably enjoyed them, too. She did talk a LOT (more than at the IYD show I saw), and it sort of broke up the flow a bit, but she's so charming that I didn't really mind it.

She was in great voice - I see the YouTube clips people post and think she doesn't sound that great, but when you're actually there, it's totally different. "Gold and Braid" was a case in point. I love that song and I'm so grateful I got to see her do it - I saw a YouTube clip and though "Meh, she can't really pull it off anymore," but seeing it live - she totally does it. Same for "If Anyone Falls."

This rendition of "Moonlight" was a revelation and everyone seemed mesmerized by "Gold Dust Woman." The "Edge of Seventeen" wail is gone completely, but she worked it out at the end. She really does seem to be adept at working around the fact that she can't do some of the wailing that she used to. She makes up for it in other ways that are just as satisfying, IMO.

I'm kind of glad she replaced "Leather & Lace" with "Landslide" as the closer - L&L has never been a favorite of mine. I just adored this show and had a great time.