View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i don't think anybody could dismiss someone like Chrissie Hynde as insignificant contributor. and i don't think Christine McVie was considered significant contributor because she was not sexy enough to be dismissed.
Chrissie Hynde was the leader of her band, the dynamics are not straightforwardly comparable to Fleetwood Mac; nor can I recall her image being as feminine as Stevie's. But in any case just because some women are luckier doesn't mean it doesn't happen. As for your latter statement you know very well that's a total non-starter. "Because Stevie Nicks was sexy, she was not always seen as a significant contributor" cannot by any logic convert to "Anyone who is seen as a significant contributor is seen as such because they are not sexy", much less "Anyone who is a significant contributor is such because they are not sexy." That's logical gymnastics. Christine McVie was seen as a significant contributor because that's exactly what she was. If she was not similarly dismissed as Stevie, we can point to Stevie's bouncier personality, her ultra feminine couture, her "confessional" lyrics, her dependency on others to provide instrumentation, as things that are all coded as more "feminine" experiences by society. I'm not going to sit and debate about what's sexy or not to me as a person, I think I've been on the level and it's transparent that what I'm talking about is what sells as sexy in the MTV era.

Last edited by redbird; 03-16-2013 at 02:11 AM..