View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I see SYW as Stevie's best solo effort, the 9 tunes of hers produced by Linds certainly consistently exceed any of her solo albums. Excellent production and Linds managed to tease some great vocals out of her when she was vocally not at the top of her game, and he is a genius in the studio.
I agree with the bolded text, but not the first part of your statement. All of the ingredients were there, but for me, they just didn't pull it off.

To me, Stevie's vocals come off as sterile. When she emotes, it's too careful and measured. She's trying too hard. Girl can't let her hair down. Honestly, it's probably to shut Lindsey up because I get the impression that he so very much enjoys nit picking at her over little details.

Then again, as the Producer, that's sort of his job.

I do believe neither one of them is capable of taking a technical approach to the other's songs without letting emotions get in the way. In the machine of Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey is granted too much influence over the end result of Stevie's songs; both the band and the album would benefit greatly from an outside producer taking the helm completely. Someone up-and-coming but known by none of them personally. If I were the band counselor, that would be my prescription for them.

Lindsey is a pro - I can't deny that - but the magic that he gave to Stevie tracks of yore just isn't there anymore to my ears, and I don't know that it even exists in him to do that anymore. There was an emotional investment going into those songs back then that can't exist now.

Or maybe it can. I don't know, but I don't hear it on any of the tracks recorded for Say You Will.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case