View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
SYH is weird and totally fantastic. Well basicly I'm so relieved that it is all pretty yet out of this world sonicly.
One of the coolest things about "Show You How" and "It Was You" is that they both have very little guitar, or little traditional guitar on them (because we all know he can make guitars sound like anything anyway). Guitars don't take the center of the attention on either one, they're both just a combination of thumping percussion and all those varispeed vocals. On "IWY" there's just this rhythm electric guitar distant in the right speaker, seems to be the only guitar in the song really.

So that's the only "new" direction that was left for him - take out the guitars!

Quote:
PS: the percussion on SYH does not sound OOTC-like. It sounds like the opening of the Ledge. Did he rediscover one of his 25 bathrooms?
It does sound OOTC-like on "IWY" though, which is probably why I like it the most of the three. Oh, and also because it doesn't have that new agey panpipe-synth outro that "SYH" has.

"CAD" is my least fave right now. Starts out great with the "I'll-make-this-guitar-sound-like-a-different-string-instrument" intro and then turns into an ordinary sing'n'strum piece. But it's still good.

Together with this recently-surfaced "GYOW" from 1975 where Lindsey tries a ridiculous falsetto all these new tracks have pretty much made my week! Last week was perfect because of another fan high. One's gotta come down soon though.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up