View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Interesting article but the answer is simple. Its not just the money but the amount of money. The amount of money a classic rock artist makes from touring today can be greater than all the years of touring in the 70s and 80s even with inflation worked into the equation. I will use Stevie as an example. I would bet she grossed more money on the 24K Gold tour than all of her prior tours combined. I bet the ON WITH THE SHOW tour grossed more money than most Mac tours combined.
Lets look at some figures:
In 1983 I saw Stevie with Joe Walsh for $12.75. They played to a 3/4 full arena (10,000) which grossed around $127,000 without T shirt sales. I bet Stevie probably made about $50,000 each night (approximately). In 1983 that was probably someone making $200,000 each night today with inflation. Artists actually made more money on album sales than touring. Touring was mostly about promoting the album. Today, rows of tickets sell for over $1000 with many tickets $200-$400 range. A sold out arena can gross 1.5 million. Stevie probably made close to a million dollars each night. Lets be conservative and say $750,000. Its so much money and money they are making in one year that would take them 20 years to make in the 80s. Its just too much damn money to pass up.