View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by greenfire
ChiliD, I did have TPO at the time, so I could pretty much eliminate, "Underway", "My Dream", and I also since had gotten Kiln House, so no it wasn't "Earl Grey". This song sounded quite a bit different from "Earl Grey". It definitely reminded me of Peter's playing. Ok, that leaves us with "World In Harmony", was this an all instrumental song? Do you highly regard this one? Is it at outstanding Green composition, maybe more reserved playing than on "Green Manalishi"?

The "Apostle" song, also sounds like a good candidate? ChiliD, how important is In The Skies? If I were to only get one Peter Green cd, would you recommend this one above the others. Had his vocal sound changed since his last recordings from the early 70's as compared to how he sound now with the Peter Green splinter group? There seems to be two different album called In The Skies, one is called In The Skies, Delta Blues and has slightly different songs? I know these are some tought questions and up for differences of opinion but would be curious what your thought are.?
To tell you the truth, if you heard this on the radio 6 years ago, I doubt that it was any of these songs. I've never heard any of them on the radio myself, and none of them seem likely to be played on the radio. I'd say it was more likely a more recent instrumental by some guitarist who sounds a bit like Peter Green, but I have no idea who that might be or what the song might be.

Regarding "In the Skies", the "Delta" one is not the original album. I don't know why they used the same name - very confusing. This is the track list of the real "In the Skies":

1. In the Skies
2. Slabo Day
3. Fool No More
4. Tribal Dance
5. Seven Stars
6. Funky Chunk
7. Just for You
8. Proud Pinto
9. Apostle

If you get any of Peter's late '70s/early '80's CDs, this is the one to get. I think it's far better than any of the others from that time. Peter's vocals were somewhere in between his Mac and his Splinter Group style, but very recognizable as Peter. Just be aware that a fair amount of the lead guitar on "In the Skies" is not by Peter (for example the very nice instrumental "Slabo Day"). But I'd definitely recommend this CD if you enjoy Peter Green.